Thursday, November 13, 2008

Chapter 2 To Work

I lifted my head as the door to the cell opened. I stood up to face the human again. The human walked over to me. He had a piece of rope in his hands. He tied the rope around my neck as a lead.

I felt the tug and followed him. We went through several hallways. Then I saw a light at the end of the hallway. It had an orange flicker to it. We entered this high ceilinged Room. I saw several other wolves. They were all working. Some were pulling others running. Some were getting beat up by other stronger looking wolves. This felt wrong to me but it must be right for this is the world I lived in.

I walked down a ramp to the floor. There was a huge machine in the middle of the floor. It had a pole coming out of it. At the bottom of the pole was a circle piece. Connected to the circle were several poles coming out of it. Connected to each pole was a wolf in a harness pulling the machine around and around. The harnesses were under each pole so that when there wasn't a wolf in it, it just hung loosely. The human let me to a Gray wolf.

The wolf ordered, "Halt" to the wolves walking around in a circle. The human tied a rope to a wolf standing connected to one of the poles. Then the human quickly took the harness off the wolf. It did this while still holding the piece of rope still connected to me. Then the human tugged on the rope I was connected to. I walked forward. He had me stand under the harness. He quickly put it on me. The harness was very uncomfortable. I stood there. Then the human brought his tool out again and undid the wire muzzle. I opened my mouth to relax the strain that was on it.

Then after the human walked away with the wolf that was taken off, the wolf that was 'boss' ordered, "Now pull" I heard grunts as the other wolves made an attempt to move forward. I felt a nip on my hind quarters. The 'boss' wolf was making me go forward. I pulled with all my might and the machine started to move. Agonising pain screamed up my back in no time.

I continued to move the machine for several hours. I grew tired and hungry. We stopped every now and a then when a wolf would get replaced with another. I worked for a long time that day. I had worked at least two wolf cycles before they took me off. I was tired. I was ready to just collapse when they came to take me off. The human repeated the same proccess.

When we got to my cell there was freash water and meat. There was also some sort of plant in there know as straw to keep me warm. Again when I ate the meat I became dizzy again but it vanished. I drank the water. Then the human walked toward me with the same piece of wire from earlier. The one that was on my muzzle.

"Not again" I whispered under my breath. It was quite annoying. He put the wire muzzle on again as tight as last time then he left the cell. When he closed the door it became pitch black. Then my eyes ajusted and I could see. I walked over to the straw and curled into a tight ball. Soon sleep came to me.

No comments: